Skip to main content

A Very First Post

 Hello and welcome to my blog. I have too many hobbies. I'm not going to formulate a whole blog post today so gave an assortment of pictures to show you what I mean .














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nostalgia Season

 Second summer is giving way to fall, I guess. As a dyed in the wool cold weather guy I should be over the moon but this season particularly, late August through September, always has me a little melancholy. I dream about wild grapes and the last of summer fishing all year but it always seems to go by just fast enough to sting a little.   The workshop is a mess from a busy summer, but cleanup efforts will have to wait because there's a lot to do right now .   Fall peas are coming along nicely, if maybe a little slower than id have hoped. I have faith though, we'll get at least a small late harvest out of these guys.   I am blessed with one last productive zucchini plant. This is the type which keeps it's flowers attached to the fruit. A few more flor de calabaza quesadillas are in the works this season yet, as long as I can keep the mildew down. This bed is seeded with winter spinach and, through a clumsy error, winter lettuce. As the squash declines they will take o...

A little more progress on the bike trailer

  Managed to steal a little more time in the shop last night, and finally after a year of thinking about it the bike trailer has a solid floor. The hitch for this trailer lives on my klunker, who's gearing is well suited to pulling heavy things rather slowly. It will be put to good use running back and forth to the hardware store this spring.

Meditations on an uncleared sidewalk and a P.S. on peer review

 We don't just tinker in the workshop, we think too. No guarantees on the quality of those thoughts, but because I have not achieved zen master status yet the monkey mind fires away on all cylinders "as if driven by a motor" to quote the psych eval I recently completed (more on that sometime I'm sure). I want to keep these posts to a minimum of crankiness, so I will try my best to keep them concise and modest. The Buddha breathes in, he is breathing in, The Buddha breathes out, he is content. It has been a snowy winter and I have been thrilled. I have had many glorious weeks of snow cover to ruminate on the state of our sidewalks and bike lanes, the arrogance of the motor car , selfishness, suffering, respect, community, and civic responsibility. Those are all loaded concepts filled to the brim with projection and judgement so I have tried to distill my feelings into feelings and feelings alone. Anger, inconvenience, annoyance, fear, disappointment, and finally sadnes...